Check back later for updates.
Read Text, pp. 678-682. Be able to answer the following:
How would the Cubans feel about the Platt Amendment, and why?
What did the Foraker Act mean for Puerto Rico?
What did the Roosevelt Corollary mean for the Monroe Doctrine?
Read text, pp 687-691.
Why was it so difficult for the U.S. to remain neutral in Wold War I?
How did the submarine render obsolete part of interntional law?
Read Text, pp. 701-706
Why is “war socialism” an apt term for the domestic policies of the Wilson Administration during Word War I?
What 3 major social upheavals characterized American life towards the end of the war?
Write 1 paragraph as assigned.
Read Text pp. 708-711
Be able to discuss the origins and character of the First Red Scare.
Read Text, pp. 711-715
How would you characterize Woodrow Wilson’s actions in the aftermath of World War I?
Understand the difference between collective security and unilateralism.
Read Text, pp. 719-724
Use two post-it note to list pro-business decisions/actions by the 3 branches of the federal government.
Read Text, pp. 726-728 and 732-736.
Be able to write about some of the economic and social changes that characterized the “Roaring 20’s”.
Read Text, pp. 736-740
Be able to write about the 3 or 4 major reactions against the changes of the “Roaring 20’s”.
No Homework. Happy Vacation!
Read the docs. binder handout.
Write the answers to the following 5 questions in note form.
1. How is the comparative reasoning in the middle of page 98 a “jab” at McCarthy by Wechsler?
2. How does McCarthy retaliate with comparative reasoning of his own at the top of page 99?
3. According to Wechsler, what was his “deficiency” in the eyes of McCarthy?
4. On page 100, what do you think the “YCL” is, what do you think Wechsler’s relationship to the YCL was, and what does Wechsler say a “citizen’s responsibility” should be?
5. Who was “Nancy” and why do you think McCarthy would raise her membership in the YCL?
Read Text, pp. 902-906
Be able to discuss the following questions (either mark in text or note in binder)
1. How did President Kennedy alter Eisenhower’s military doctrine?
2. Why did Fidel Castro alarm the U.S. and how did President Eisenhower respond initially?
3. What happened at the Bay of Pigs?
4. How did the Cuban Missle Crisis begin?
5. How did Kennedy decide to respond to the Soviet missile threat?
6. How did the crisis end?