Falmouth Academy is an educational institution carefully designed so that teachers and students know each other and work together. Our students learn to:
- Read closely to understand the shape, style, and substance of the text
- Write skillfully by reviewing, revising, and rewriting
- Manage time effectively
- Speak confidently with adults
- Participate actively in school and the wider community as students and volunteers
Average SAT Scores*
Reading and Writing
(Class of 2016, 2017, 2018)
* The SAT was redesigned in March 2016. Instead of listing three separate scores for Critical Reading, Mathematics, and Writing, there are now two scores--one for Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing (ERW) and one for Mathematics.
Average PSAT Scores*
(Class of 2019/36 students)
National Merit Scholarship Program (NMSP)
- NMSP honored five students in 2017, two in 2018, and three students in 2019 as Commended Students.
- Falmouth Academy regularly ranks in the top ten of Massachusetts high schools, public and private, in the percentage of the senior class recognized by the NMSP.
Falmouth Academy teachers develop their own curricula to emphasize discussion, writing, editing, depth of knowledge, and research that is interdisciplinary and project-based. We do not offer AP courses but we do offer our students the opportunity to take AP exams.
- Students may take AP exams in English Literature and Composition, Calculus AB, French Language and Culture, and German Language and Culture.
- In the past three years, Falmouth Academy students took 86 AP exams. Of those students, 96 percent scored at 3 or above and 80 percent scored at 4 or 5. (Scores of 3 or higher indicate college-level proficiency.)
Falmouth Academy, which has fewer than 200 students, regularly wins more first place prizes than any other public or private school of its size in the Massachusetts Institute of Techology State Science Fair Competition.
The Boston Globe
- International Science and Engineering Fair - FA students have earned 18 invitations and won 17 awards between 1988-2018.
- American Junior Academy of Science, Google, Intel, Siemens, Westinghouse - Since 1994, Falmouth Academy has had 11 science talent-search semifinalists and 4 finalists in these national research-based high school competitions. A Falmouth Academy student won a 1st prize in the 2016 Google Science Fair.
- Massachusetts State Science Fair at MIT - Falmouth Academy students have earned 149 top prizes (1st-3rd) at the Massachusetts State Science and Engineering Fair.
- Student scientific research published-11 students have published in scholarly journals while attending Falmouth Academy.
Rhodes and Fulbright Scholars
Two Falmouth Academy alumni have been named Rhodes Scholars - one as a student at Wellesley College and one at Princeton University and nine have received Fulbright scholarships.
Activities & Electives
- Sports teams are open to all students (grades 7-12) and Falmouth Academy (FA) offer boys and girls varsity, JV, and middle school teams in soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. FA teams are competitive frequently participating in post-season play and known for good sportsmanship. Since 2016, two teams were ranked in the top 20 by the Boston Globe.
- 4th period is an extended time for electives-over 40 electives offered including studio arts, performing arts, chorus, band, Latin, yoga, beekeeping, community service, and many more.
- Drama and Stagecraft are open to all students (grades 7-12)
- Eight FA students won regional awards in the 2017-18 Scholastic Art & Writing competition, including two Gold Keys, three Silver Keys, and eight Honorable Mentions.