Falmouth Academy is a community carefully designed so that teachers and students know each other and work together. Our students learn to:
- Read closely to understand the shape, style, and substance of the text
- Write skillfully by reviewing, revising, and rewriting under the close supervision of their teachers
- Manage their time effectively
- Speak confidently with adults
- Participate actively in their school and communities as students and volunteers
Average SAT Scores*
Reading and Writing
|Falmouth Academy (Class of 2017)
|Falmouth Academy (Classes of 2016-2018)
* The SAT was redesigned in March 2016. Instead of listing three separate scores for Critical Reading, Mathematics, and Writing, there are now two scores--one for Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing (ERW) and one for Mathematics.
National Merit Scholarship Program (NMSP)
- NMSP honored five students in the Falmouth Academy Class of 2017 as Commended Students.
- Falmouth Academy regularly ranks in the top ten of Massachusetts high schools, public and private, in the percentage of the senior class recognized by the NMSP.
Falmouth Academy teachers develop their own curricula to emphasize discussion, writing, editing, depth of knowledge, and research that is interdisciplinary and project-based. We do not offer AP courses but we do offer our students the opportunity to take AP exams.
- Students may take AP exams in English Literature and Composition, Calculus AB, French Language and Culture, and German Language and Culture.
- In the past three years, Falmouth Academy students took 86 AP exams. Of those students, 96 percent scored at 3 or above and 80 percent scored at 4 or 5. (Scores of 3 or higher indicate college-level proficiency.)
Falmouth Academy, which has fewer than 200 students, regularly wins more first place prizes than any other public or private school of its size in the Massachusetts Institute of Techology State Science Fair Competition.
The Boston Globe
- Eleven semifinalists and three finalists in national research-based, high school science competitions, including Intel, Siemens, and Westinghouse.
- Sixteen invitations and fourteen awards at the International Science and Engineering Fair.
- 145 top prizes (first, second, third) at the Massachusetts State Science & Engineering Fair at MIT.
- Eight students have published scientific research in scholarly journals while attending Falmouth Academy.
Two Falmouth Academy alumni have been named Rhodes Scholars - one as a student at Wellesley College and one at Princeton University.
Activities & Electives
- Our sports teams are open to all students (grades 7-12). We offer boys' and girls' varsity, JV, and middle school teams in soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. During the 2016-2017 school year, our varsity girls' basketball and lacrosse teams won MIAA Cape and Islands League Championships.
- We offer over 40 electives during 4th period including studio arts, performing arts, choir, band, Latin, Taekwondo and many more.
- Drama and Drama Tech are open to all students (grades 7-12)
- Eight FA students won regional awards in the 2017 Scholastic Art & Writing competition, including two Gold Keys, three Silver Keys, and eight Honorable Mentions.